Monday, September 29, 2008

Livin’ on a Prayer

August did not leave very well in my book. Fatigue and sickness crept back in that weekend but we were on a retreat the whole weekend for the Korean Legion of Mary group, and luckily it was only a small retreat, because I had to go to bed early the one night we were there – It was all catching up with me yet again!

Despite the rough month of August, I was determined to begin September on a good foot, although I’m afraid it just didn’t happen. It began with another Theology on Tap session (getting the schedule back on to the first Monday of the month), and with a few retreats scheduled, we worked hard on getting those together. We also had a WYD Thank You dinner put on by the Archdiocese for all the volunteers and long-term commitments people had made to the event – it was quite a lovely evening, actually, and I got to see quite a few people I hadn’t seen for a while. It was especially exciting because the Dominican Sisters from Nashville had returned to Sydney to set up their permanent convent here, and that night was the first chance I had to say hello to them.

The next day the team was given the day off, and I took the opportunity to get my hair trimmed at a cheap place in the city, and got to Mass at my favorite church, St. Benedict’s, on the campus of Notre Dame. Then I met with a friend on Sydney Uni’s campus to drive with her down to Goulburn – about 2 hours from Sydney – to attend a farewell dinner for a girl named Natalie Gordon. She has just recently made the trip across the “pond” to the US to join the Nashville Dominicans Order! She invited Monica and I to her home town to have dinner, and the Italian restaurant we ate at was excellent. It was a family owned and operated business, and in fact, the owner’s wife sat at the same table and Monica and I, and Sr. Mary Madeline and we had a lovely chat with her. All in all, it was a nice night, and I got to know Monica a bit better, as well as see yet another little corner of Oz! Goulburn doesn’t have much to see, so I don’t think I would go back – it’s sort of a one-horse lookin’ town. Quite interesting indeed.

The day after that, without much sleep, the team had to go to the Cathedral for a Mass and luncheon put on by Cardinal Pell for all the religious of Sydney. CYS was in charge of helping serve the food and drinks as well as helping set up and take down. Of course we were given lunch too, which was very nice. It was a good day of mingling anyway. I got called Sister a couple of times – I guess I looked like a nun that day?

But it was a rainy day, very wet and cold, and so afterwards I just curled up in bed and slept. I didn’t do much the next day either, except go to Mass and meet up with a few friends for dinner afterward. My weekends were really boring this whole term – I truly was just ‘livin’ on a prayer’…I just couldn’t wait for it all to be over! I think it was a combination of bad beginnings without adequate rest and terrible weather. I’m happy to say things have begun to look up quite a lot. We did finally get to meet our new director – he is very nice, and even though he’s pretty new, he will bring about some great changes to CYS…maybe some that the current team won’t ever see, but nonetheless, hope for a better future is here. He is very laid back as well, which is always a good thing!

I spent some time with the girls on team after that, which helped, and the next weekend had a girls day with the Dominican Sisters and a few friends at their convent – it’s always so nice to spend time with them (and their accent is easy on my ears, of course!). That weekend I caught up with a friend for Brunch after Mass, and we spent some time heavily discussing the city of Chicago – he knows the soft spot in my heart for that city, and so it was partly for that reason he decided that on his upcoming trip the States he would spend a few days there, checking out what all my hype is about! He left today - I hope it’s as good for him as I think it is!

The weeks lately have just been bringing about two retreats a piece…just cruising through them trying to get to the school holidays. A few nights I got to catch up with friends (a rare treat!), and one day the team was invited to come to Sydney for the launch of ChristWeek, a week long mission on campus, in which the chaplaincy comes alive and takes over certain places on campus, passing out materials and evangelizing students who will listen. There are talks every day as well, and the first one was given by Sr. Mary Madeline, so it was great to go and listen to her.
Just last weekend, I took a trip to the Blue Mountains to visit Jenelle, my pen pal, because it was her 21st birthday party! Of course it is always lovely to see her and I enjoy catching up with her family as well – they’re all just so nice! I stayed the night there and then came back down on the Sunday, and it was such a gorgeous day. It’s those days that I especially appreciate our location because the ocean water always looks so amazing.

The last week of team before the two-week school holidays was fairly quiet. We had a couple retreats, as per usual, but on Monday night, we had another mission team stay with us as they passed through Sydney. They were from a city about 5 hours inland called Orange, and I was convinced they would all be Australian, because I couldn’t conceive how any international missionary would choose to live in such a remote location, and YET, to my extreme surprise, they had not only a Canadian, but also an American from CHICAGO!!!! I couldn’t believe the coincidence – and of course, what do you think my first question to her was? “ARE YOU A CUBS FAN?!?!?!” Of course she is! We discussed how proud we were of the team this year – come on Cubbies!! I wish I could have talked to her more than just 15 minutes, because I think we would have had a lot in common, and could relate on a number of levels – that was apparent from just our brief exchange. It was a bit of excitement anyway.

I got to go to Sydney Uni again on Wednesday, this time to hear Bishop Anthony Fisher, OP, speak at ChristWeek (it’s always good to visit my old stomping ground!) and of course, the talk was excellent.

A team day on Friday, complete with the experience of Yum Cha (?!) and a trip to Manly Beach, and we were released to enjoy the next two weeks of a break. I am absolutely relishing this time off – time to relax, slow down, get things done (like this blog…) and have some Missy time. And the weather was incredible this weekend, so I got to hit the beach a bit, and spent the Sunday afternoon with the Dominican Sisters for another girl’s evening. They are having them every two weeks.

I don’t plan to do much for the next week or two but relax and enjoy life! Jovina gets back this week (HOORAY!!!!!) and this weekend a bunch of us girls are going out to a friend’s farm to relax and have a retreat. I know it sounds like I go on a lot of retreats, but it’s because I need them! I give so many retreats, I have to get a little something back in order to give more!
As I de-stress and wind down from a very turbulent term, I am preparing myself for the end of team and for my departure from Australia, which is now only 79 days away! So soon! Instead of wishing it away, I am trying to live it up – Lord only knows if I’ll ever be back in this beautiful, friendly place!

Hold out for a bit, I'll get some pictures up very shortly. That's next on my list of things to do this break. I'll post instructions on viewing them. It will be much easier than the last time I tried to post an album, I promise!

Hope all is well in the States - keep in touch when you all can!

Until I write again, may God bless you!

No comments: