Monday, September 29, 2008

WORLD YOUTH DAY: SUNDAY, JULY 20, 2008

In the cold crazy air of Sydney that holy night of WYD, I got more sleep than I had gotten the rest of the week combined. Amazing! Yet, somehow, I woke up feeling like I would never be warm again and like I would never be well again - I felt awful! Funny: as I opened my eyes at around 6AM, happy to see that it was the light of day and not the light of the screen blinding me, I focused on that screen reading, “If you feel ill, please find a FIRST AID tent.” As I laid there, feeling feverish and achy, I thought it was a sign from God. However, I hardly had the strength to get up, let alone try to find some tent in the endless maze of Randwick Racecourse! Instead, I ate an orange, knowing Vitamin C couldn’t hurt!

After a while I finally got up, packed up, and made my way over to the VIP section one last time for the Final Mass. Cecilia came with me this time, and we once again braved the toilets and then ate some more breakfast with enough time for the one-hour fast before Mass. Now after I had disgraced myself falling asleep throughout most of the Vigil, I was very intent on staying awake and fully alert during the Mass, but would you like to know what actually happened? I missed most of it. I could not keep my sick weary eyes open! Right after Pope Benedict’s homily, I got up with Cecilia to walk around a bit (I think she may have been falling asleep too) and just as I took one step I tripped and fell! Not a good sign…

I was just so disappointed that I was there but missing WYD! However, my thoughts were that maybe God had already spoken to me throughout the rest of the week and my body couldn’t take anymore! I don’t know…

After the Mass Cecilia and I went to lunch with many of the Dominican Sisters from Nashville, and then made our way home.

I took a shower, and tried to eat some real food, and a little later I went into the city and met up with Jovi - we were going to have dinner with lots of friends, but it ended up just being us two and her boyfriend! We did have some good ice cream, but I think the general feeling was that of a deflated balloon - they look great at the party, but once the air goes out, what do you do with it? Fatigue was fast taking over, so we called it a night, and once more, I laid down, asleep before my head hit the pillow.

And that was it. WYD was over.

No comments: